Agriculture and Farmland Protection Board (AFPB)
The next meeting of the Farmland Protection Board will be held on Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 7:00pm at the Ag & Business Center, 36 Center Street, Suite C Conference Room (2nd Floor), Warsaw, NY 14569
Wyoming County is the #1 county in New York State in total agricultural production and milk production. With 700 active farms, agriculture is extremely important to the economic and social fabric of the County.
It’s the County’s policy to conserve, protect and encourage the development and improvement of its agricultural land for the production of food and other agricultural products. It’s also the County’s policy to conserve and protect agricultural lands as valued natural and ecological resources, which provide needed open spaces, as well as buffers for water quality and habitat for wildlife.
The Board’s mission is to enhance economic viability of the agricultural industry and preserve and protect the viable farmland in Wyoming County. The socio-economic vitality of agriculture in this County is essential to the economic stability and growth of many local communities and the County as a whole. Additionally they:
· Encourage farming through local initiatives which create favorable conditions that allow farmers to operate economically viable enterprises;
· Advise the County Soil & Water Conservation District on establishing, modifying, continuing, or terminating agricultural districts;
· Review Notice of Intent filings pursuant to Agriculture and Markets Law 25AA Sections 305.4 and 305-a;
· Support, implement, and update the goals of the Wyoming County Agriculture and Farmland Protection Plan; and
· Advise and recommend concerning Purchase of Development Rights (PDR) applications to the NYS Department of Agriculture & Markets. The PDR grants pay a farmer to place a conservation easement on the farm in order to protect productive farmland and limit non-agricultural development. The farmer retains ownership of the land, use, and management of the farm; however, the land will have permanent restrictions on commercial, residential and industrial uses in perpetuity. The Board works with the Genesee Valley Conservancy to administer the County’s PDR program.
AgriculturalFarmland Protection Board (AFPB)
This Board is consisted of area farmers, a representative from the County Board of Supervisors, Cornell Cooperative Extension, Real Property Tax, Genesee Valley Conservatory, Wyoming County Soil & Water, Agri-Businessman and the County Planner. They meet quarterly with discussions including the negative/positive aspects of farming and try to find a solution so that area farmers may be able to continue to expand and succeed in their industry.
FARM MEMBERS (4 yrs. term) TERM TO EXPIRE
Roger Almeter 12/31/2023
Eileen Downs 12/31/2023
Angela Brunner 12/31/2023
AG. LAND PRESERVATION REPRESENTATIVE(4 yrs. term)
E. Joseph Gozelski 12/31/2023
AGRI-BUSINESSMEN (4 yrs. term)
David DeGolyer 12/31/2024
COOPERATIVE EXTENSION AGENTS**
Abby Griffith and Don Gasiewicz 12/31/2022
CHAIRMAN, COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS (Ex-Officio)
Daryl Heiby Co-terminus*
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEMBER(Ex-Officio)***
Jim Brick Co-terminus*
COUNTY PLANNING (Ex-Officio)
James Bragg Co-terminus*
DIRECTOR, REAL PROPERTY TAX SERVICES (Ex-Officio)
Sarah Lippincott Co-terminus*
All members are voting members./*Co-terminus with the member term in the ex-officio position/** Membership ends if no longer with CCE
***Ex-Officio, annual appointment by Chairman of Board of Supervisors