- Departments M - Z
- Probation Department
The Wyoming County Probation Department’s primary mission is to enhance the safety of the community through the fair and effective supervision of offenders, community partnerships and results driven practices. Probation supervision allows appropriate offenders to remain in the community as productive citizens, while providing them with opportunities and assistance to change their patterns of behavior through evidence based practices in the hopes they will not recidivate. Probation supervision is one of the most cost efficient sentencing alternatives while still providing for community safety.
• Adult Supervision: Supervision of adults prosecuted in the adult criminal court system, placed under supervision by the court with specified conditions and restrictions.
• Juvenile Supervision: For those who have committed criminal acts and are below the age at which ordinary criminal prosecution is possible. This can be through informal diversion services or probation ordered through Family Court.
• PINS Supervision – supervision by diversion services or ordered through Family Court of non-criminal offenses by youth under the age of 18 – such as truancy, or incorrigibility.
• Pretrial Release: pre-conviction release from jail with monitoring while the criminal case is pending.
• Court Ordered Community Service – monitoring of clients performing work for non-profit organizations as a restorative justice measure.
• Pre Sentence Investigations: An investigation and report to the court regarding the history of a person convicted of a crime before sentencing to determine if there are extenuating circumstances which should ameliorate the sentence or a history of criminal behavior to increase the sentence.
• Pre-Dispositional Investigations –investigation and reports to Family Court for respondents proceeding through this system.
• Collection of Restitution and Other Fees - the department collects restitution as ordered by criminal or family court as well as other fines or fees.
The probation department has implemented and plans to expand on cognitive behavioral programs as well as assistance with employment readiness. Please feel free to contact Director Joan Kibler at 585-796-9960, x:1010 if you are an area employer who has any general questions about probation conditions relating to employment, employment opportunities for individuals on probation, or if you have any other employment related questions or concerns. ****