Welfare Fraud Reporting
Reporting Welfare Fraud Committed in New York State
This page is only for reporting welfare fraud committed in New York State, for the following programs:
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
- Public / Cash Assistance
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly known as the Food Stamp Program)
To report welfare fraud being committed in a state outside of New York, visit the United Council on Welfare Fraud's website in order to find contact information for welfare fraud reporting in other states.
To report other types of fraud committed in New York State, see additional Fraud Reporting Resources Below.
To report suspected child abuse / Child Maltreatment in New York State, call 800-342-3720. This is the toll-free number for the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment, operated 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services.
- Examples of Potentially Fraudulent Welfare Situations
- False Parental Custody
- Hidden Assets (bank accounts, property, etc.)
- SNAP Trafficking (Selling EBT cards for money, drugs, etc.)
- Unreported changes in Household Composition (either someone moved into or out of the home)
- Unreported Changes in Shelter Costs / Falsified Shelter costs
- Unreported Income (either earned or unearned)
Additional Fraud Reporting Resources
View these resources.